Sunday 25 November 2007

Yet another day at the bank...

I went to Central Bank today to try and cash my cheques from KIST. There's so much overhead in terms of staff time to prepare and sign cheques, then take them to be cashed that I wonder why they don't have a system whereby employees can get paid via bank transfer for off payroll monies. I guess that would be far too sensible...

Although the queue is small, I wait in line for ages as the cashier disappeared off somewhere for a while. I'm 3rd in line behind the customer being served and an enormous man in a suit. Some friend of his approaches and they banter a bit, the friend ending with the question in Kinyarwanda "is this your mzungu?" obviously intended for me and with not too subtle, lecherous undertones. I banshee them both in French, pointing out that I have nothing to do with his friend and that its extremely rude to talk about someone as if they weren't there. The friend looked suitably chastend and sloped off, and I'm left looking like a bit of a loon. Again.

No comments: