Wednesday 14 November 2007

The dangers of flaunting contraband

I visited my tailor on the way to work today. I'm getting a load of clothes copied before I head back to the frozen north. André is a great little guy, even if he never has the clothes ready when he says he will.

At lunch i'm still walking around with the plastic bag I had some of my clothes in...I took it out of my wardrobe where its probably been hanging for years. I go to the Happy Rwanda buffet for lunch, and I go there at least once a week cause it has Rwandan lunch buffet convience but with European twist. Its owned and run by an italian and its relatively expensive but goood. Anyway the waitresses there know me a bit. After I've finsihed my lunch and paid and am about to leave, one of the waitresses says to me "they will condemn you for that".

And while I'm processing this and trying to parse it, i see she is pointing (with her lips of course, not her finger) to the plastic bag. She's right, some idiot with a uniform or maybe even a member of the general public will give me hassle for an illegal plastic bag even though its probably been in my house since before the ban in 2005. I thank her and hide the plastic bag in my breifcasey bag....only in Rwanda...

No comments: