Monday 1 October 2007

One day at the bank....

So I'm queueing up to take some cash out of my dollar account for my impending voyages to Kenya and Cameroon and there's 3 Rwandan's at the counter.

One is speaking intermitantly in English, as is quite common here for those who grew up in Anglophone East Africa. Rwandans who grew up in Burundi and Congo liberally mix in French, Lingala and Swahili to their conversations. This guy then proceeds to say something about Europeans being happy with small families "I'll be like a European, two is enough for them".

I was pissed off. "Europeans", like "Africans", one singular job lot, all the same! Did he mean my sister with 4 kids, or my various cousins most of whom have at least 3? Did he mean Europeans in the sense of Germans, Central Russia, Immigrant families in France or what? Couldn't he wait to make his gross generalisations untill i was out of earshot? I get so sick of people here speaking as if I wasn't in the room.

No comments: