Thursday 20 September 2007

Neither a borrower nor a lender be...

...certainly not around these parts!

As I was driving (err being driven) to work the other morning I started to think about things I would and wouldn't miss about life here. One aspect I certainly won't miss is that borrowing hasn't got quite the same meaning here as it does at home. In my normal scheme of things, when you borrow something there is an intention to give it back and usually you do give the thing back. If for some reason you fail or forget, you're supposed to feel bad, apologise and/or make amends.

I can't think of anything I lent to someone here that I actually got back again (apart from my camera...thanks Sive!). People here do seem to have the intention of giving things back, or at least they say so, they just never seem to give it back. Even when you ask. Over the years I've lent cds, dvds and plain cash to people, mostly never to be seen again.

I wondered if there was some strange thinking going on, like if you could 'afford' to be without the item or the money for some period of time, then perhaps you didn't really need it...and so it wasn't such a big deal not to return it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.