Friday 7 September 2007

Introducing the unoffical Honourary Consule for Ireland

The Irish embassy in Kampala just called...as usual when our Ambassador is coming to town, they want me to assemble the rag tag bunch of Irish citizens in Rwanda for a bit of a knees-up. They even passed a intern chick into my care in 2005, and I introduced her to the Indians. She may have recovered by now.

Uganda has tons of Irish due to the large assistance mission there. There are around 10 Irish in Rwanda, including one dodgy character among them who spent 2004-2005 crashing all the Embassy parties with her foreign office friends. I think the 2nd secretary for Germany actually believed me when I said I was the Honourary Consule because he'd seen me at all these events.

More recently I passed up the chance to work in the foreign service of a Central American country, after a sequence of work related activities following a chance meeting with one of their diplomats after I crashed a party of the president's office.

Life here does have its interesting moments....

No comments: