Wednesday 17 October 2007

Only three days back from almost 3 weeks out of Rwanda and I’m already getting cultural claustrophobia…everything seems much lighter and wider when I’m not in Rwanda.

So this morning, I’m doing my usual pathetic attempt at exercise by walking 5 minutes to the moto-taxis, instead of sending my guard/gardener out to bring one to the door. I walk past the “school of little assholes” near my house, whereupon 3 youths (early teens perhaps) jump out in front of me. Despite the fact they start in front of me they manage to get themselves positioned behind me and start making foolish noises, in what might be an attempt at English.

I’m totally fucked off with this kind of treatment in Rwanda, I think I maybe developing a phobia to teenagers. So on turning the corner on the top of my hill, I speak to the traffic cop who is usually in residence there and tell him to explain to the 3 boys that their behaviour is rude. I feel like a bit of an old granny, but it gives me some satisfaction and at least they scarper quickly rather than follow me all the way to the taxi stand.

No comments: